Without the drive to mate, your cat may be quieter and not prone to cat calls and an incessant need to seek out a mate.  |. Neutered males tend to roam less and typically are not involved in as many fights with other animals. I’m not convinced that it is — especially if your cat is a male. Owners of unspayed female cats have four choices: Spay her, suffer continuous heats, breed her (accidentally or intentionally), or lure her body into psuedopregnancy. Unneutered male cats have a tendency to roam and are at a higher risk of being injured, or of becoming infected with feline immunodeficiency virus and feline leukemia. Spaying or neutering your cat prevents unwanted births, which helps reduce overpopulation in shelters. If you’re wondering whether you should just leave your cat as nature intended, consider the positive and negative aspects of spaying and neutering before making your decision. Trust me, they get pregnant. Unspayed animals typically have a strong mating desire and can expend a lot of energy seeking a mate and reproducing. Unspayed females also may experience life threatening infections of the uterus. The stewardship of your cat’s health no doubt is a priority. If you’re lucky that will buy you two months of heat-free time. It concluded that the outcomes were essentially the same. Millions of unwanted animals end up in shelters or on the streets each year. The decision about whether to have your cat neutered or not is likely to be one of the biggest that you make as a pet owner. Neutering a cat reduces or eliminates the urge to spray, and if they do, the scent should be much more mild. Male cats spray to mark territory. Although you may not own the female cat, and you are not burdened with finding homes for those new kittens, someone else is. If you wish to breed your cat, spaying should not be done. "The health benefits for male dogs includes decreased risk of prostatitis and elimination of risk of testicular cancer." One intact male cat can readily impregnate 1,000 females in a year. Neutered male cats are at less risk to develop prostate gland enlargement and perianal tumors. ©Copyright 1999 - 2021. No More Heat Cycles An unspayed female cat, her mate and all of their offspring, producing 2 litters per year, with 2.8 surviving kittens per litter can total 67 cats in just 2 years. Life is Unpredictable. Your cat will look different because his testicles will no longer be present. Although cats are very maternal, and there are many stories of felines risking their own lives to save their kittens, the belief that they will somehow benefit from experiencing motherhood is very misguided. If you have more than one cat – even if the other cat is fixed – the new cat will start spraying. Spaying and neutering can prevent or vastly reduce your cat’s chances of developing several serious health conditions. You will automatically forgo the grumpy cat in heat. With the availability of the facility, you no longer have a reason not to neuter your cat. Some new mothers can have serious complications delivering kittens and can even develop health problems during nursing. [clickToTweet tweet=”8 Cat Neutering Myths Debunked – Truth be Told” quote=”8 Cat Neutering Myths Debunked – Truth be Told”] Summary. Tomcats produce markedly pungent urine, and they deposit it everywhere. One more reason to neuter is when a male is cryptorchid, i.e. when a testicle does not come down and remains in the belly. He no longer has the stress of needing to mark his territory and urinate throughout the house and yard. Related: Reasons to Adopt a Shelter Cat. Check out our handy-and persuasive-list of the top 10 reasons to spay or neuter your dog/ cat. Over 90% of neutered cats stop spraying within the first 6 months after the procedure. Spaying and neutering saves lives! Even indoor cats sometimes manage to escape. 7 Aggression is Less Likely to Present Itself. I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. The mere fact that your cat will be happier and healthier as a result of the procedure should be reason enough. Neutering seems to take away the spunk and sometimes courage that most un-neutered male cats have. And they get pregnant. Why? An un-neutered male pet is driven by strong hormones to mate, and will often turn into a Houdini escape artist to get out of their home or yard, especially if there is a female in heat close by, or sometimes even miles away! And some vets suspect that early neutering may put males at increased risk of urinary obstruction due to impaired development of the external genitalia. However, I can think of 7 reasons to neuter your cat. Actually, spaying/neutering your cat is one of the best things that you can do for their physical and emotional health, not to mention your sanity and it is safe in kittens as young as three months. The recovery from the procedure is very quick and there is no reason it should lead to any behavioral problems. They tend to be more gentle and affectionate. That’s 18 more homes to find each year for just one cat… Millions of other cats live brief, miserable lives as ferals, constantly struggling against hunger, exposure, and parasites until they meet untimely and gruesome ends due to predation, cars, disease, and starvation. Life is Unpredictable. Without this energy burden, your cat may eat the same amount but not burn off as many calories. After neutering, your cat will return to their old, playful self very quickly. Reasons for neutering male cats. And there is a growing contingent of veterinarians (especially endocrinologists and orthopedic surgeons) who question not only when cats should be altered, but whether they should be at all. Because neutered cats are less likely to roam, the threat of abscesses caused by bites and diseases transmitted by fighting are greatly reduced. Neutered cats are more at ease, less inclined to become aggressive, and better behaved overall. Neutering makes for a cleaner, calmer pet. However, there is a significant element of paternalism in the drive for early spays and neuters in cats. Without the drive to mate, your cat may be quieter and won’t be prone to cat calls and the incessant need to seek out a mate. Even if you accept your responsibility and choose to keep the kittens, you will have the additional cost of vaccines, parasite control, toys and food for several pets. Three Reasons To Spay/Neuter Your Indoor Cat #1. Dr. Eric Barchas EVERYWHERE. The age of sexual maturity though can be as young as 4 months of age. 1. Without these organs, ovarian cysts, uterine infections and cancer of the reproductive tract are no longer a concern. Reasons to Neuter Your Cat. ≫ 10 Reasons Why I Think You Should Neuter Your Cat ... over just incase you’re on the fence and not convinced that cat neutering is something you want to be putting your cat through. According to the ASPCA, seven out of ten cats are put to death simply because there’s no one to adopt them. WHY NEUTERING IS A GOOD IDEA. It does not affect the kitten’s physical and musculoskeletal development. But, you are not quite sure if it is the right thing to do. Only a lucky few are adopted; the rest are either euthanized or die from trauma, exposure, starvation or disease. However, I do not believe that this study provides a definitive answer to the early spay/neuter question. One of the reasons why some veterinarians do not recommend neutering a cat earlier than 6 months of age is the risk of health problems. Rest assured she'll still be the same cat you've always known and loved. The best age to neuter a male cat depends on the circumstances; there is no particular, universal time. Your pet's health and longevity. This procedure is an article of faith for most cat people, but among vets? NEUTERING THE MALE CAT . He will no longer be able to reproduce, so if you intend to breed your animal, do not have him neutered. Basically it is lack of education that causes people not to fix their pets around here. There is no doubt that neutering your cat can have really great benefits to their health and you will also be doing your bit to help the growing crisis of the thousands of pets already in rescue centres around the country, because there aren’t enough homes to go around. Neutering a male cat is often a mind altering experience for him. They tend to more gentle and affectionate. Spay or neuter your four-legged friend—this will actually increase its lifespan! This means that they release eggs in response to coitus. And it may make me seem like I’m opposed to spaying and neutering, but I am not. However, the VTFFS’s review of scientific literature showed that early neutering does not cause any health issue in the growing cat. Get tips and exclusive deals. Many organizations are working to decrease that number by opening low-cost spay/neuter clinics that will prevent more litters of cats that need homes. I believe there is significant evidence that altering your cat will improve his or her life, and your life as well. "Believe me, they do not miss their testicles," Proietto said. 3. However, I can think of 7 reasons to neuter your cat. Without this energy burden, your cat may eat the same amount but not burn off as many calories. 100%. Intact females who are allowed to roam will often fight with other females, and they incur the same risk of injury and disease as males. Still not a good reason for early neutering, as you’ll see below. If you can prevent unplanned pregnancies, (and if you have a female and don’t mind living through heat cycles) you may want to keep your animal intact and not neuter. A final positive aspect of spaying your cat is that spayed cats tend to have fewer health problems. The Low Cost Spay and Neuter Clinic offers discounts so anyone who can pay roughly $20 or less can get their cat … There’s no doubt that cat neutering is one of the best health decisions a pet owner can ever make. I love the following statistic (which, as Mark Twain would say, fits somewhere beyond a lie and a damned lie): One pair of cats and their descendants can produce 420,000 kittens in seven years. Tag Archives: 5 great reasons to spay and neuter your cat. Want to get the most out of your dog's days or your cat's nine lives? Intact animals typically have a strong mating desire and can expend a lot of energy seeking a mate and reproducing. The question comes down to the timing, and there is no definitive answer. Not only does spaying or neutering your pet help to reduce the cat population, but there are also health benefits for spayed and neutered pets. 4. Neutering changes his appearance.Your cat will look different because his testicles will no longer be present. Check out our handy-and persuasive-list of the top 10 reasons to spay or neuter your dog/ cat. My cat is an indoor cat so I am not worried about birth control. But also male cats can tend to be more territorial when they are not neutered. Not so much. Three Reasons To Spay/Neuter Your Indoor Cat #1. You can expect such a vet to engage in a meaningful, heartfelt conversation on the subject, even if she can’t provide a clear-cut answer. NEUTERING THE MALE CAT . I also recommend that cat owners seek a good veterinarian’s advice on the matter of spaying and neutering. The Low Cost Spay and Neuter Clinic offers discounts so anyone who can pay roughly $20 or less can get their cat … A: More than likely it will. On average, altered dogs live 1 to 3 years longer, and altered cats live as much as 3 to 5 years longer. The rule is to spay/neuter before your cat reaches sexual maturity. Overfeeding and lack of exercise are the main causes of weight gain and can be easily prevented with a healthy diet and active lifestyle. Let’s delve into this thorny subject by starting with the matter of feline overpopulation. The mere fact that your cat will be happier and healthier as a result of the procedure should be reason enough. There are also medical and behavioral benefits to spaying (female pets) and neutering (male pets) your animals. Many studies, such as this one, show that cats immediately and rapidly gain weight after they are altered, unless calories are dramatically restricted. (Note that if you have an emergency situation, please see your own vet immediately! Actually, spaying/neutering your cat is one of the best things that you can do for their physical and emotional health, not to mention your sanity and it is safe in kittens as young as three months. After being neutered, your cat may feel tired or groggy that night and for the first 24 to 48 hours. Basically it is lack of education that causes people not to fix their pets around here. 6. Neutering also decreases the possibility of perianal tumors and hernias, which are commonly observed in older, unaltered dogs. © 2019 Belvoir Media Group. Without these organs, testicular cancer is no longer a concern and the risk of prostate problems is reduced. How about intact males? That is like cat pee but worse: smellier and harder to clean the stink off things. Simply put, a clear-cut answer may not exist. This X-Ray Contest Proves It: Cats Eat the Darnedest Things, Long-term outcome of gonadectomy performed at an early age or traditional age in cats. Let us talk of them no more. The Top 8 Reasons Why Your Kitty Won’t Use the Litter Box; Having seen beat up intact male cats in practice, with a thick neck and a scarred face, and knowing that they, in … Millions of sweet, loveable, adoptable cats are euthanized at shelters every year, simply because there are no homes for them. That's a lot of extra time to enjoy with your … I found him 11 yrs ago as a rescue and the Vet I took him to at that time estimated he was 2 yrs old so I chose not to neuter him as I … You surely will do whatever is best for your cat. Cats with kittens will hunt more actively and if they are not being fed will need to catch more wildlife to feed their kittens. Ask our vet in the comments below and you might be featured in an upcoming column. admin 1 week ago. How about other health aspects? His aggressive nature tends to take a dive, which can be a huge help in a multi-cat household. I’ve personally known people who refuse spay/neuter surgery for a variety of reasons. If you are tired of cleaning after your cat that sprays every corner of your home, just neuter your pet. Shelters are hesitant to let intact kittens out of their facilities, lest the new owners neglect to return for spaying and neutering. 3. Most cats do not need special medication or after care. He will spray. Male cats: This one’s also pretty easy. But I’m not convinced that you should do it early. Pet overpopulation isn’t the only reason to spay or neuter your cat. So this may require 2 surgeries: 1 to remove the "outside" testicle, and … Not convinced yet? They contract FIV/feline AIDS with startling frequency. Moreover, neutering your cat will bring numerous health and behavior benefits. A typical counter-argument is, "My cat is indoors only." Spaying or neutering your cat prevents unwanted births, which helps reduce overpopulation in shelters. Even if you choose to keep the kittens, you will have the additional cost of vaccines, parasite control, toys and food for several pets. Probably not. Here is how you can tell whether a veterinarian is good: She will acknowledge that the matter of spaying and neutering is complicated. An average … The metabolism is not a problem if the guardian feeds them correctly and even cats who have not been neutered can suffer obesity issues for a variety of other reasons. A final positive aspect of neutering your cat is that neutered cats tend to have fewer health problems. Here are five reasons: If it’s a male I do not want him spraying all over the house. Stay informed! Here’s an earlier study ... I’d recommend not castrating your male dog. By spaying or neutering your pet, you’ll help control the pet homelessness crisis, which results in millions of healthy dogs and cats being euthanized in the United States each year simply because there aren’t enough homes to go around. There are numerous reasons you should spay or neuter your cat! Female cats also pass bodily fluids when they go into heat. ), Erika Sorocco and Kim Campbell Thornton Let’s talk about health reasons first… Female cats that are spayed CAN’T get uterine cancers; their risk of mammary (breast) cancer is reduced by 25%; and they are less prone to urinary tract infections and hormonal changes. September 25, 2005 By Joi. Female cats are induced ovulators. Consult your vet concerning your cat, but remember to have the cat altered before the sexual maturity (usually before the age of 5-6 months). These fluids also contain scents to alert males that a fertile female is nearby. This weight gain puts cats at increased risk of a myriad of obesity-linked health problems such as diabetes, urinary problems, kidney disease, and heart disease. The last option may sound attractive, but don’t jump too fast: The recommended method is to moisten a Q-tip and use it to stimulate the cat’s vulva until she ovulates. Spaying a female cat, especially before her first heat cycle, significantly reduces the risk of mammary cancer. They also suffer from wanderlust. The choice to spay or neuter your pet may be one of the most important decisions you make impacting their long-term health—and your wallet! Feb 7th 2017. Female cats that are spayed before their first heat will have a reduced chance of mammary cancer, and will be unable to develop pyometra, which is a serious uterine condition that can cause death. Only a lucky few are adopted; the rest are either euthanized or die from trauma, exposure, starvation or disease. If you take a basic biology course, you’ll realize that ecosystem carrying capacities are what ultimately dictate feline populations. If you are a pet owner trying to decide if you should neuter or spay your cat, consider these reasons for spaying or neutering your pets. Also, there is a notorious link between neutering, spaying, and obesity. Thank you so much for your advice, this has really made me feel better about my decision to not neuter my 13 yr. old, 6 lb. Having a neutered or spayed cat may also give you a cleaner home. And, of course, having a litter is risky for females, especially if they are still no more than kittens themselves. The spayed pet no longer attracts males and their annoying advances and serenades. If you’re a new dog owner, then chances are your veterinarian, as well as other dog owners, have probably already recommended spaying or neutering your furry friend as soon as possible. Unspayed female cats suffer from breast tumors at relatively high rates, and feline breast tumors are most often malignant. The female cat heat cycle is a long one, with your cat going into heat every other week unless they mate. Reasons Why You Should Spay Or Neuter Your Cat. Sorry, folks, but neutering your male cat will do nothing whatsoever to prevent feline overpopulation. An estimated 5 million to 8 million animals are euthanized in shelters across this country every year. If your vet wants to see your cat again after the surgery, however, be sure to bring her in on time. Lack of exercise and overfeeding will cause your pet to pack on the extra pounds-not neutering. These symptoms include: not eating, vomiting, lethargy, and abdominal pain. For most people, it’s probably best to neuter their males when they are as close as possible to being fully grown but not sexually mature. Some cats gain weight after neutering. Just because you plan to keep your cats inside doesn’t mean … The neutered cat no longer feels the need to seek out and serenade females. People who do not fix their cats do not know that females can and do get pregnant at 4 or 5 months. Just because you plan to keep your cats inside doesn’t mean THEY won’t get OTHER ideas at some point in their lifetime. Critiquing this study is an exercise in armchair quarterbacking. The first thing I do when we bring a new cat into the household is make an appointment for the vet to get him or her checked out, get the appropriate shots and set up an appointment to be fixed. No reasonable person can deny the existence of this phenomenon. But will spaying your cat at two months of age — or any age — prevent cat overpopulation? And, of course, having a litter is risky for females, especially if they are still no more than kittens themselves. Neutering will result in the sterilization of your cat. Your Female Cat Won’t Go Into Heat and Will Be Healthier. Reducing cancer is yet another one of many reasons to spay or neuter your cat. Spaying/neutering your cat is one of the greatest acts of kindness you can show them because it will improve their lives and health long term. Continue reading to learn some of the best reasons why you should make sure every member of your feline family is spayed or neutered at a young age. 6. What is Your Cat Saying? It’s time to start thinking about spaying or neutering your cat. Spaying and neutering saves lives! There are Many Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Programs A declawed cat does not stand a chance against a large dog, a bigger cat, or a predator.  |  Males may experience some physical benefits from actually going through puberty before they are neutered, but, objectively, most people will not enjoy this process. Yorkie, Hershey. Keep reading this AnimalWised article to discover when should you neuter a male cat under various circumstances to make sure you do it at the best time. / Reasons to Neuter Your Cat. The early-spay/neuter movement’s head of steam really seemed to get going after the publication of a study titled, “Long-term outcome of gonadectomy performed at an early age or traditional age in cats.” The study tracked three-year outcomes for cats who had been spayed or neutered before or after six months of age. Probably not. Unneutered male cats are likely to stray over a large area, will mark their territory with a very pungent … 1. For those frustratingly common irresponsible owners, I think it’s best to stick with early altering. However, if your cat sprays due to stress or a urinary tract infection, neutering won't help eliminating the spraying behavior. Forgive the heresy of what I am about to say. Take these calculations out a few extra years and they would show a world whose entire surface was covered by ten feet of cats. People who do not fix their cats do not know that females can and do get pregnant at 4 or 5 months. All of this is starting to make neutering and spaying sound pretty bad. All rights reserved. One intact male cat can readily impregnate 1,000 females in a year. And the bad news doesn’t end there. I believe that cats should be spayed or neutered. Vets everywhere are tempted to believe that felines should be “fixed” at any possible opportunity. Will My Cat Be Different? Some cats may gain weight after spaying. Rest assured they’ll still be the same cat you've always known and loved. Neutering a male cat is an excellent step to help your young man grow into a loving, well adapted household citizen. A female cat can have up to 3 litters a year with up to 6 kittens in each litter. WHY NEUTERING IS A GOOD IDEA. Instead, let’s talk about you. Spaying and neutering is not unhealthy: Any loss of energy levels due to spaying and neutering a cat are minimal and will not cause obesity. Although spaying your cat might not have a significant impact on world feline overpopulation, it will have a dramatic impact on feline overpopulation in your house. Cats are fecund. Some of these are beneficial for both you and your furry friend. If it’s a female she will go into heat. That means they reproduce, and they’re legendarily good at it. During surgery, your cat will be given an anesthetic so they won't feel or be aware of what's happening. This App Translates Cat Language into Human Words, How to Find the Perfect Cat for Your Family. Your cat may decide to dash outside one day when you least expect it. Expect to withhold food and water from your cat the night before surgery and to bring your cat to the veterinary office by a particular time. In fact, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) now supports early spay and neuter for cats as early as 8-16 weeks of age. An unspayed female cat, her mate and all of their offspring, producing 2 litters per year, with 2.8 surviving kittens per litter can total 67 cats in just 2 years. Intact females have a higher risk of mammary and uterine cancer and serious uterine infections. Intact females have a higher risk of mammary and uterine cancer and serious uterine infections. Each chance to spay a cat might turn out to be the only chance. Got a question for Dr. Barchas? If your cat(s) live only in the house, and there’s no danger of pregnancy inside your house, why should you do it? Pet overpopulation is a serious problem and by allowing your cat to have litters, you are adding to the problem. An un-neutered female cat can be responsible for 20,000 descendants in just 5 years!
Stainmaster Pet Protect Vinyl Flooring Reviews, Robust Standard Errors - Spss, Penny Collar Shirt, Examples Of Good Strategic Plans Pdf, Daphnia Magna Lifespan, Where Can I Get Macarons Near Me, Spaceman Ice Cream Machine, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, Pe Unit Plans Nz,