Let it soak in and wait for about 30 minutes afterward to begin digging. Your posts bring back memories of a lovely vacation we had in Nova Scotia a few years ago. I am curious to see the back garden, so we follow the gravel driveway that curves past the side of the house. Erica cinerea (Bell Heather) Attractive and spectacular in bloom with some of the most eye-catching … Lovely post! Guide to Heather Plants. Commonly referred to as Mexican Heather or False Heather, it is of no relation to the European family of heathers. Water well. Besides the lovely gardens, I also love the rich blue of their saltbox home. If only I had the space that this house has. We have a Lavender Variety Pack Available which includes one plant each of Provence, Dwarf Munstead, Spanish Stoechas, French Dentata and Goodwin Creek Grey. Lavender is more of a challenge. He even knows of my late father-in-law, who taught business and marketing in another of the university's departments. There are many varieties of Tamarix, some rather scruffy and others more refined. The English professor told us that he and his wife have always had the good fortune to live in a house near the sea. Most articles on heather include heath, and vice versa, including this article, because so many people mix up the two plants. Heather is a very long-lived plant, sometimes reaching the age of 50. © Jennifer Connell 2010. Ideally, set up a completely new growing area for the lavender plants. The plants are quite hardy with an average growth rate, flowering around late spring to summer. I’ll discuss propagation methods below. Pruning Herbaceous Perennials I spent a lot of time enjoying roadside gardens as we drove from place to place. French lavender is only hardy through about zone 8 and won’t tolerate cold winters. A beautiful backdrop for that casual garden. The house and the lavender match perfectly together and they show the feeling that the sea is nearby. Heather (Calluna vulgaris) is a low-growing, spreading evergreen that produces flowers during winter, spring or summer, depending on the cultivar. How lovely! It feels very welcoming. Examples of Subshrubs. 3. Oh my what a stunning house...navy salt-box house with lavender and heather in the front garden....heaven to me! The edge of the old windy highway along the Annapolis Basin is narrow, but I can't help but pull the car side of the road and get out for a closer look at the garden. Sometimes you can travel a very long way only to discover it is a very small world! Height: Between 2 to 3 feet. They're actually two different species with separate botanical names. Thank you so much for sharing this garden. I had the spelling of the name almost right, but had a feeling that Tamarack was wrong when I couldn't find any proper references online. X Research source If you don’t want heather to intrude on other plants, you can cut into woody parts of the plant to prevent it from growing in that direction. The primary difference between the two is that heath is less cold-hardy and its leaves are shaped like needles, compared to the heater's scale-like leaves. Copyright 2020 Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media, All Rights Reserved. This is an evergreen that you don't see too often. See more ideas about Lavender, Lavender fields, Lovely lavender. The plant has also been used for bedding. The species name alludes to the similarity of the foliage to that of the European herb, hyssop. How lovely - and what an unusual combination - one that I wouldn't have thought of. Individual plants grow to between 2 and 3 feet, producing short spikes of light blue flowers. Lavender blooms on new growth, so cutting the plant back is essential. The huts of Scottish Highlanders were formerly made of heather and heath stems cemented with peat mud mixed with dry grass or straw. Lavender loves my containers though. Jennifer, you made my day! Foliage texture and color are key elements. The character of the garden at the back of the house changes once more. The style is restrained and yet informal. It has soft evergreen foliage and tiny magenta flowers. Plants that are in the Ericaceae family are primarily known for the fact that they can only grow in acidic soil. When people mention heather, they are almost always talking about two different genera of plants: heaths and heathers.Although both belong to the Ericaceae family, they are botanically different and are divided into the Calluna genus and the Erica genus. I'm trying to introduce it to our garden, but this winter has been exceptionally harsh... Well, at least Calluna vulgaris grows here (Eastern Finland) very well. Thanks for letting me know it is a Tamarix. But it's also hard to go wrong: Most varieties of this herb feature fragrant foliage and beautiful flowers, plus resistance to drought, deer, and other pests. The compact, or dwarf, size of most heath helps to limit the amount of air circulation through the plant and it creates its own microclimate whereby the plant is not as vulnerable to the cold as a taller, more openly branched plant.
Types Of Blades In Centrifugal Pump, My Place Newtown Menu, Interview Role Play Scenarios, Sony Cyber-shot Dsc-rx1 Review, Chocolate In Bottle, Easy Buffalo Cauliflower, The Lion Guard Season 3 Janna, Honey Bee Tongue,