Mirror, mirror, on the wall… 7 signs you’re dating a narcissist, according to a clinical psychologist
Does your new partner have an excessive need of support and admiration? Is not he or she too selfish? Cannot handle any criticism? You may be in a relationship with a true narcissist. Although an official diagnosis should be done by medical professional, below you will find seven signs you’re dating a narcissist, according to a psychologist.
Narcissistic Personality Disorder is a common condition characterized by the egocentrism, selfishness and an overwhelming need to be praised. What are the warning signs of dating a narcissist?
- They talk only about themselves. Your conversation usually appears to be a long description of their exceptional achievements, goals, plans and success stories. Narcissists often feel bored listening about your life and always try to focus your discussion on them.
- They desperately need constant praise. These people prefer to stay in the center of attention and require acknowledgement of their incredible talents and appearance on the regular basis. Furthermore, they might feel really offensive in case you disagree or disapprove anything important.
- Narcissists often put down others. They think they are always right. Moreover, relatives and close friends may not avoid the judgment.
- They are extremely sensitive. Narcissists are usually emotionally unstable. They often feel angry or cry loudly until you apologize for your “sins”.
- Lack of empathy. Even if you have a really tough period, your narcissistic partner will show little to no empathy or support. They are still too keen on themselves.
- Narcissist might easily make you think you are a bad person. Your success will never make your narcissistic partner feel happy about your achievements. They will just try to downplay your achievements.
- Narcissists can sometimes be pleasant and charming. When it comes to early stages of a relationship, narcissists usually seem to be lovely and generous people. However, they will soon reveal their real feelings and desires. Narcissists often become dependable on their partners with almost no ability for true love and care.