Dating a Coworker: Tips and Tricks
Dating a colleague is a no-no for many people. However, in some cases you just can’t hide your feelings. What can you do in that case? How should you behave to continue working at the same company and building relationship with a coworker? Below you will find a list of handy tips on how to date a coworker successfully.
First of all, accept that is usually a bad idea. Mixing your work and private life might cost you losing your position or breakup with your new crush. Therefore, consider this kind of dating wisely: if you really value your current position, it is better to avoid having an affair with a coworker. However, if you are still confident about your decision to build new relationship, here are our tips on how can you make it easier.
How to Date a Coworker
1. Avoid dating your boss or someone, who works for you. Otherwise, you might get or offer preferences to your new crush that can damage a whole atmosphere in the team.
2. Keep it secret until you feel it’s becoming something serious. You have high risks of breakup at the early stages of any relationship. In case you start dating a coworker and soon drift apart, you might lose your good reputation.
3. Tell it to your boss. In case your relationship becomes long-term, it’s a good idea to tell it to your boss. It is much better, when he or she will know it from you personally rather than from office gossips.
4. Never engage in PDA at office, since it is absolutely unacceptable. First, it is unprofessional. Second, you will make other colleague feel uncomfortable.
5. Discuss only job issues when you are at the office. Do your job at the workplace and avoid discussing any personal matters.
6. Don’t share the details of your private life with the other colleagues, especially when it comes to your sexual life. Although you might have many good friends among your coworkers, keep your relationship’s details away from any third parties.
7. Avoid dating married colleagues. This rule comes to all married men and women and especially those from your coworkers. This one is a top don’t of college etiquette.
8. Don’t use corporate e-mail or other company’s means of communication for sharing your personal data. Otherwise, it might accidentally become available to public.
9. Be aware of the legal issues. Some companies have strict rules for relationship between colleagues. Be careful and investigate the possible effects of your romance at workplace in advance.
10. Create an exit plan. If you breakup, you will need to handle it somehow to continue working successfully at the same company. Discuss it with your new crush to eliminate the risks of losing your job.
Although dating with a coworker remains to be among the most common taboos for thousands of people, there are still plenty of others, who break all the rules and even become happy!